Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Circle of Life



I'm still a young father who is learning on the go about parenting and life. I've also had many opportunities to work with the elderly in my career. I've discovered that my kids have much in common with their elderly counterparts. There's obviously an age that most kids grow out of certain behaviors. Likewise, as people age they rediscover what was lost years before. I can't explain why this "circle of life" happens. But I would like to know approximately at what age these transitions occur so I'll be able to enjoy the show.


Just a few examples:

  1. They aren't aware they have food on their face during or after a meal.
  2. They have no filter - if they think it, they say it.
  3. Bodily noises from both ends are released with reckless abandon.
  4. Most of their trousers have urine dribble stains.
  5. They are completely oblivious to hangers out of the nose.
  6. They can wear the same clothes for days without a care in the world.
  7. Pureed food is the consistency of choice.
  8. They end up in diapers whether they like it or not.
  9. TV is the entertainment of choice between meals.
  10. People communicating with them speak loudly, using hand gestures and exaggerated facial expressions.
  11. Too often people call them stupid nicknames rather than their real name.

All of the above examples could aptly describe either a baby/kid or an elderly person. However, I have noticed one major difference between the two where the circle of life may have taken a detour: naps. Kids avoid them like the plague. Elderly folks somehow accomplish all of the above activities while napping. Maybe if kids were medicated as much as the elderly, they would enjoy naps, too. It's just an idea....

1 comment:

  1. Can I just say I am glad you have a blog (not just a blank word document that you think is a blog) However, I am not sure the world is ready for the inner thoughts of DTS. Anyways...we're glad you've joined in the blogging race! Look forward to more thoughts!

    ReplyDelete