Thursday, April 16, 2009

Environmentally Friendly


For obvious reasons I'm not given too many responsibilities on a daily basis in our home. However, I do have two important ones: dish washer and Costco shopper. Cindy cooks, I wash the dishes. I also go to Costco 2-3 times/week (is there any better deal in town then $1.50 polish sausage and drink?? I think not!! It's filling, mostly edible, and the aftertaste remains for at least a day and a half).
A few weeks ago I was instructed to purchase some dish washing detergent at Costco. One reason I like Costco is the lack of choices - there's only a few to choose from of most items so the potential to choose incorrectly is drastically reduced. This particular shopping adventure, there were only two different detergents I was mulling over. One was a little cheaper in a fancy green box. The other was more expensive but in a dull, gray box with the words "Environmentally Friendly" emblazoned across the top. Those who know me realize I'm not afraid to slap down some extra cash to help out Mother Earth. However, I've never experienced worse buyer's remorse. Each day as I empty the dishwasher I spend an extra 10 minutes wiping out the soap crystals from each and every glass. But it is comforting knowing that our world will last a few minutes longer because I'm a friendly inhabitant.
A word of caution: when the words "Environmentally Friendly" or something similar are used in any advertisement, you can bet on these two truths:
1. The item will be ridiculously expensive.
2. The item will either lack quality or won't do the job as effectively or efficiently as it's "Environmentally Unfriendly" competitor.
Take the hybrid car. Yes, the gas mileage is great in stop-and-go traffic. Yes, you can sneak up on either a deer or cyclist from behind and run them down without problem because neither will be able to hear your stealth approach. Finally, with it's partial zero emissions, the hybrid has the Green Prince's stamp of approval. However, there is a $4-6K premium for a hybrid. You'd have to drive lots of miles over lots of years to make up the difference at the gas pump.
I haven't researched home solar panels recently, so this is a shot in the dark. But haven't you heard a homeowner say something like this: "Yeah, I just bought me some solar panels for my house. Those babies pay for themselves in 10 to 14 years." At some point we may stay in a house more than 5 years, but not anytime soon. I'm sure it is very satisfying knowing that your $15k purchase will end up saving a dozen polar bears, one of which could rip your heart out with one swipe of its claw. But they are really cute, aren't they?
Be responsible, don't waste, but please don't buy something just because it is "Environmentally Friendly". It's just not worth the aggravation.

No comments:

Post a Comment